Tinder’s Future of Dating report finds that Gen Z is breaking completely free of traditional dating strongholds and taboos and redefining the rules in their own ways. Dating is no longer about the familiar chronology or of slow courtship, instead, it has become fluid in terms of expectations (let’s see where it goes), emotions (honest and authentic), and experiences (more activities than icebreakers).
In the past year, Gen Z turned to video chats, while embracing the new normal, with nearly half of Tinder getting on video chat with a match during the pandemic, and 40% planning to continue using video to get to know people even when the pandemic is over. Furthermore, a recent survey by Tinder indicates that 90% of Gen Z Indians are, in fact, using their dating apps to find new people or simply stay connected.
Whether to discuss passions or to indulge in light-hearted banter, if you’re looking to form new connections and meet people online too, here are some key ways to safely navigate the possibilities on Tinder.
- Photo Verification: First and foremost – verify your identity to let everyone know the real you. Photo Verification gives you an opportunity to make more informed decisions before you Like or Nope, and is one of the ways Tinder maintains a safe space for meeting new people. Something you may want to note is to not only ensure your match has a blue tick, but also verify yourself, to make potential matches feel confident when swiping.
How it Works:
- Open Tinder and tap the profile icon
- Tap the gray checkmark by your name/age
- Select ‘Verify your profile’ to begin
- You’ll be shown a pose and we’ll ask you to copy that pose by taking a selfie
- Confirm that your selfie matches the pose and hit ‘Submit for review’
- Repeat steps 4 & 5 one more time
- Defining your ‘passions’ and interests : The best way to find common ground with people is to bond over mutual interests. When you sign up, Tinder gives you a multitude of ‘passions’ to choose from, which range from reading, photography, movies, to so much more. So whether you’re a cinephile looking to discuss the Academy award results, or a music aficionado trying to hype over a new favourite artist, you can find the right person for anything by adding a relevant passion to your profile and effortlessly vibe with other like-minded people.
- Add an ‘anthem’ to your profile : For many Gen Zers, music is indeed a love language. It melodiously conveys the words you cannot speak, and the thoughts you cannot express. And with time, music has repeatedly established itself as a common ground for people to bond over. By adding an ‘anthem’ to your profile, you can choose a song that defines your current mood and swear by it. Someone will be sure to hit you up with the lyrics!
- Keep your bio updated and raw : While introducing yourself, what’s smoother than intriguing them with a well-written bio? What is it about you that would compel people to reach out? Whether you choose to ask a thought provoking question, add a joke or keep it simple - you get to decide. Just make sure you follow the internet’s #1 safety tip and don’t divulge sensitive personal details on your profile. On Tinder, we do it for you. Bio Guidance removes these details, lets members know why and gives them another shot at writing their bio.
- Face to Face feature : Sometimes texting just doesn’t do it. For all the times that you crave that visual one-on-one interaction, Tinder comes through with the face-to-face feature, built by its Trust and Safety team. You can video-call in-app, easy as pie. Additionally, the call won’t go through unless both you and your match opt-in to connect. This makes sure you’re virtually safe and sound, without compromising on your connection.
So get the ball rolling, and find yourself new pals you can end the isolation fever with!